Jorge C. Valverde
Phone: 889-8288 ext. 247
Objectives: Students will continue to build knowledge in Spanish-language with skills learned from the previous two years and will add to their base of the target language. They will improve their ability to synthesize this material. Emphasis will be on mastery of speaking, listening, reading, and writing at the appropriate skill level.
Learning Goals: By the end of the school year, students will be able to perform the following tasks in Spanish:
- Engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
- Understand and interpret written and spoken languages on a variety of topics.
- Present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the practices and perspectives of the culture studied.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of language through comparisons of the language studied and their own.
- Show evidence of becoming life-long learners by using the language for personal enjoyment and enrichment.
Participation: Participation is important and will be considered in the calculation of your marking period average. All classroom activities will be based on the belief that language is best learned when we use it as often as possible for the purpose of real-life communication. Be an active language learner and let's have fun becoming bilingual!!!!!!!
Conversation:involves using Spanish in class, avoiding using English and using Spanish appropriately in different contexts. As you can see conversation is an element of your grade. Your instructor will give clear guidelines on how he will evaluate your performance.
Homework and Projects: must be done on time.
Homework, if you don’t hand in your homework on time, the last opportunity to hand in it will be before the next class. You will lose ten points per day. No more than two homework assignments will be accepted late for Marking Period.
Projects, if you don’t hand in a project on time, the last opportunity to hand in it will be before the following class. You will lose thirty points per day.
Absence, a student that has been absent must check with me regarding work missed due to absence. Students are expected to make up any schoolwork they miss during absences. If a student is absent, the make-up work will be hand in when the student returns.
Grades will be calculated on points accumulated during each semester and will be based upon the following percentages
- El éxito del español en el mundo / Spanish in a Global World
- Natural wonders in Latin America
- Todo tiene una solución / Everything has a solution
- Medios de Comunicación / Media
- El Mercado laboral / Workforce and Careers
- El mundo del automóvil / Cars and Driving